ApexSQL is sponsoring a contest for authors on the SQL Shack www.sqlshack.com.
We will be evaluating the body of work submitted by each author during the contest period for quality and article performance including: unique visits, shares, comments etc. and determining a winner.
If that winner is attending SQL PASS Summit 2018 already, and is able to validate this (by sending confirmation documents) within 7 days, we will reimburse up to $2,500 in expenses. Otherwise, an alternate winner will be selected until an author who meets the contest conditions is determined.
Depending on the success of the contest, measured by article submissions, new authors, etc. we may announce 2nd, 3rd, etc. prizes, at our sole discretion.
We welcome all authors past, present and future to submit articles early and often to the SQL Shack. May the best author win!
SQL Shack 2017 and 2016 award winner is Ahmad Yaseen – Read more
ApexSQL “SQL Shack” author contest official rules
These are the official rules that govern how the ApexSQL SQL Shack author contest promotion will operate. This promotion will be simply referred to as the “Contest” throughout the rest of these rules.
In these rules, “we,” “our,” and “us” refer to ApexSQL LLC, the sponsor of the Contest. “You” refers to an eligible Contest entrant.
Can I enter?
You are eligible to win this contest if:
- You are NOT an employee of ApexSQL LLC; and
- You are NOT involved in any part of the administration and execution of this contest; and
- You are NOT an immediate family (parent, sibling, spouse/domestic partner, and child) or household member of an ApexSQL employee or a person involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest.
How can I enter?
Submit at least one article for publication on the SQL Shack www.sqlshack.com during the contest period.
Winner selection and award
On or around the close of the contest period, we will select the contest winner based on objective and subjective criteria, related primarily to article(s) quality and performance.
Award. A SQL PASS Summit 2018 package. Approximate Retail Value (ARV) of up to $2,500
This prize includes cash re-imbursement up to $2,500 for the following items:
- Full summit registration (not pre-conference)
- Single occupancy hotel room to cover period of summit
- Travel to and from Seattle, WA from residence (e.g. airline tickets)
- Daily per diem of $50/day *
The prize will be disbursed as cash payment against an invoice submitted, with receipts and other necessary documentation for the above items except those noted with an asterisk. Such invoice must be submitted within 7 days of award notification. If invoice and documents are not received or are received but not approved for any reason e.g. incomplete, within 7 days of winner announcement, contact, and then the prize may be awarded to an alternate. Payment will be made within 30 days of approval of received documents.
If the winner is unable or unwilling to attend the event, then the prize will be awarded to an alternate, until a winner is selected who will attend the event and can confirm the same.
ApexSQL is not responsible for your ability to attend the event, conflicts etc. ApexSQL also is not responsible for your registration, travel arrangements, visas, etc.
Costs will be reimbursed up to $2,500. Costs that exceed that, must be assumed by the winner.
If you are a potential winner, we will notify you by sending a message to the e-mail address, the phone number, or mailing address (if any) provided at time of entry within seven (7) days following the end of the contest period. If the notification that we send is returned as undeliverable, or you are otherwise unreachable for any reason, we may award the prize to an alternate.
If you are a potential winner residing in the US, we may require you to sign an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity Release and a W-9 tax form or W-8 BEN tax form within 10 days of notification. If you complete a tax form, you will be issued an IRS Form 1099 the following January, for the actual value of the prize. You are advised to seek independent counsel regarding the tax implications of accepting a prize. If you do not complete the required forms as instructed and/or return the required forms within the time period listed on the winner notification message, we may disqualify you and select an alternate, randomly selected winner.
If you are confirmed as a winner of this contest:
- You may not exchange your prize for cash or any other merchandise or services. However, if for any reason an advertised prize is unavailable, we reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value; and
- You may not designate someone else as the winner. If you are unable or unwilling to accept your prize, we will award it to an alternate potential winner; and
- If you accept a prize, you will be solely responsible for all applicable federal, state, and local taxes related to accepting the prize; and
- Unless noted otherwise, all prizes are subject to their manufacturer’s warranty and/or terms and conditions.
What am I agreeing to by entering this contest?
By entering this contest, you agree:
- To abide by these Official Rules; and
- To release and hold harmless ApexSQL and its respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, employees and agents from any and all liability or any injury, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this contest or any prize won; and
- That ApexSQL’s decisions will be final and binding on all matters related to this Contest; and
- That by accepting a prize, ApexSQL may use of your proper name, photo and state of residence online and in print, or in any other media, in connection with this contest, without payment or compensation to you, except where prohibited by law.
What laws govern this contest?
This Contest will be governed by the laws of the State of North Carolina, and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the State of North Carolina for any disputes arising out of this Contest.
What if something unexpected happens and the contest can’t be run as planned?
If someone cheats, or a virus, bot, bug, catastrophic event, or any other unexpected or unforeseen event, that cannot be reasonably anticipated or controlled, (also referred to as force majeure) affects the integrity and/or fairness of this contest, we reserve the right to suspend, change or cancel this Contest. This right is reserved whether the event is due to human or technical error. If a solution cannot be found to restore the integrity of the Contest, we reserve the right to select winners from among all eligible entries received before we had to cancel, change or suspend the Contest.
If you attempt or we have a strong reason to believe that you have compromised the integrity or the legitimate operation of this Contest by cheating, hacking, creating a bot or other automated program, or by committing fraud in ANY way, we may seek damages from you to the fullest extent permitted by law. Further, we may disqualify you, and ban you from participating in any of our future Contests, so please play fairly.
How can I find out who won?
We will post the names of the winner online at blog.apexsql.com and will notify the winner directly
Who is sponsoring the contest?
11312 US 15-501 N, suite 107-212
Chapel Hill, NC, 27517
Note: this post may be updated and corrected, as needed. All changes will be included in a change log, by date at the bottom of the post.
October 3, 2016